Friday, February 26, 2010

Let's make some quilty coasters!

These coasters are great hostess gifts, I like to cut the fabrics from leftovers as soon as I am done with a project. Then when I have a few sets to make, I get out the serger and serge the seams rather than sew and zig zag, as I show here.



For a set of 4 coasters (I usually make then in fours)You need 8 squares each of 3 different fabrics. I like to use 5", but you can use 5.5 or 6" also, as long as they are all the same size.



For these I used the plain black as the "base" Cut 4 pieces of batting, one-half inch smaller than the fabric. (In this case 4.5") Layer the 8 pieces of base fabric with the 4 pieces of batting as shown.




Now fold and press the remaining 16 squares. Don't get to carried away with the iron so they don't stretch.



Place the first folded triangle on the base, lining up with one of the base corners.



Work your way around the square, adding the triangles and alternating the fabrics.



Number 3...



The last piece is a bit trickier, because you have to lift up the corner of piece one and place piece 4 under it. It will make sense when you do it. Pin the pieces in place.



Now sew 1/4" all around, then zig-zag with your machine (this is where I switch to the serger if I am making a few sets at a time.




After trimming the corners (not too close) reach under the triangles and pull up the base. Use something pointy to push out the corners and press.



The coolest thing about these is that you can take a stemmed glass, and put the base of your stemware inside the little pocket made by the triangles. Really great for a party!

No comments: